You will need:
- Sharp knife
- Rod of bamboo or something similar
- Piece of strong string
- Adult helper
Because Kamokamo is a summer vegetable in Aotearoa, you will need to keep them in a cool and dry place until Matariki in the winter time.
- First clean the fuzzy mold off with a dish brush.
- Cut holes like windows with a knife. You may need your adult helper to help you with this part.
- Thirdly, leave it in the sun to dry out
- Tie the lantern onto a rod of bamboo using a long and strong piece of string.
- Put a tea light candle inside the kamokamo lantern and light it up!
This is like a Halloween lantern for Matariki.
Are you aware that kamokamo is from the pumpkin family?